<VV> Pile -o- Crankshafts

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:08:28 -0700

At 08:08 hours 10/10/2004 -0700, Larry Forman wrote:
>At 09:03 PM 10/10/2004 -0500, Rodney Sampson wrote:
>>All:
>>   I need to find a LM 140 crank out of a pile.
>>
>>   How do I tell a 140 from a 110 ?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Rodney Sampson
>
>Hi Rodney,
>Simple -- just look at the forward flywheel hub end for an ampersand, "&",
>stamped on the hub just outside of where the pilot bushing is
>inserted.  You might need to scrape the end of any grime or rust to see it
>clearly.  That "&" mark means the crank has been nitrided or surface
>hardened, which was done for the 140s and 180 turbo cranks.

But not *all* 140s.   Later PG variants had cranks that weren't nitrided.
 Got a couple, no ampersand symbol on the crank.    I wouldn't sweat it...

Either way, a 140 can use any late crank and be just fine with it.  The
nitriding won't substantially increase the cranks strength at all; more for
keeping the crank from getting scratched by garbage in the oil.   Keep the
oil changed and you need not worry about not having a hardened crank.

tony..