<VV> Re: points test

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:51:20 +0000

> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:10:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Frog Princezz
>> Subject: Bloody & Confused
>Car still won't start. Tested the battery 12.2 volts,
> that's good. >
snip ......
My preference on a car with points is to pull the end of coil wire from the distrib cap.  Remove the distrib cap, and stick the end on a new spark plug with the gap opened to 0.2 inch or so, and use a clamp to hold the plug body against some clean metal, or the spare tire lug sso the gap is in the air.  Roll the car (standard shift in hi gear) until the points are very closed (visible gap between points cam and rubbing block).   Eat a popsicle.  Turn the ignition switch to "on".  Use the clean dry popsicle stick to push the points open and closed.  If you get a blue spark across the wide gap the vcoil, points, condensor, and coil wire are good.  The points gap and dwell adjustment, the ignition timeing, the firing order, and the plug wires, cap and rotor condition all must still be confirmed.