<VV> LM self-adjusting brakes

Geoffrey A. Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:48:18 -0600

Yeah... This is how I always do it. Sorry if it is hard to put in writing
but think about the logic and it works and you never have to try to stretch
that thing in place again.   With both shoes off in your hands, in the
proper orientation, angle the top of the shoes (the top as in the part by
the wheel cyinder) together so they are overlapping maybe four inches.
Have the bottom of the shoes where the adjuster goes the regular distance
apart.  Put the spring in place ( make sure you have it oriented right or
it will interfere with the adjuster).   Then put the adjuster in place and
pull the top of the shoes apart to their regular position.  THEN put the
assembly on the car (Hold the assembly together so it does not come back
apart while putting it in palce and getting the retainers on). Also take
the adjuster mechanism apart and clean it really well and grease it
lightly.  They are invariably stuck from sitting and 40 years of baked in
grease.

Hope that makes sense and helps!
Geoff Johnson

--On Monday, October 11, 2004 7:04 PM -0400 jmclott <jmclott@netzero.net>