<VV> Fiero--Corvair related.

Levair@aol.com Levair@aol.com
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:16:15 EDT

All,

A lot of people on these lists also have another orphan car, the Fiero.
   The Fiero  V6 is about Corvair size and horsepower. A lot of tuners work
on both of them.
Both of my sons and I have tuned on them constantly.
Lately, Scott has stroked his 2.8 Fiero to 3.1cc (sound familiar?) ,
increased the throttle body and plenum, added headers, a mild cam and mild porting.
   We did back to back tests of his and my Stock 2.8 last night. Mine is
stock other than cat. removal, stock exhaust mild porting. throttle body
polishing, and roller tip lifters. We did roll- ons from 3000 rpm to 6000rpm.
    The stock one was .75 second faster!!!!
   The moral to this and Corvair tuning is that all of these add ons can't
help much unless solving the main problems first. On a Fiero the problem is the
exhaust port size and on the Corvair it is intake port restrictions. I know
that this is rather simplistic, but the manufacturers have balanced the system
around the problems. The new cam requires the testing to be done above the
balanced range of the manufacturer.
   I did similar things to one of my Fieros years ago with a huge throttle
body and headers--no improvement. It was a stock cam and porting so the add ons
did not help..
   When tuning on our Corvairs we can't change just one thing. We have to
balance/tune  the entire system for the new operating range. a new camshaft
requires a new operating range as does larger carbs/throttle bodies and headers.
   Perhaps the Fieros should have been tested fron 4000 to 7000 rpm.

Food for thought,
Warren