<VV> The Latest on my FC Clutch Problem

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:36:13 EDT

Charles - let's hope your next R&R is the last one for a while!  Here are
some thoughts that  have crossed my mind...
1) The pilot bearing should be snug (not allow much wobble when tested with
the input shaft) but must allow the input shaft to rotate freely.
2) Soaking the pilot bearing in oil may work, I don't know.  The method that
I know works is this: Place the bearing on your thumb and fill it with oil,
then pinch the bearing between your thumb and forefinger.  The pressure on the
oil will force the oil into the porous bronze.  When the bearing is saturated,
it will begin to "sweat" oil from the surface.  Wierdest thing you have ever
seen - make me a believer in quantum mechanics.
3) Look carefully at the pressure plate assy and clutch disc.  If the pp
fingers aren't an even height (unbolted condition), that means that the diaphragm
spring is warped and the clutch will drag.  Check the clearance between the
mounting bolt surface and the friction surface.  There's supposed to be 0.190 to
0.200 for an early pp and the dimension should be the same all the way around.
4) You are looking for a subtle problem.  Everything between the disc and the
countershaft "floats" when the clutch is in and the trans is between gears.
This mass has to slow down in order to shift without "grinding" and the only
things that slow it down are the synchro blocking ring and friction from the
gearoil.  It doesn't take much "propulsion" from a dragging clutch or input
shaft to overcome those elements and cause grinding during shifting.
5) I understand there are some "thick" clutch discs out there.  The disc is
supposed to be about 0.330" thick (uncompressed) and 0.305 (compressed). Thick
discs don't release properly.
6) Once you are confident that the pilot bearing and clutch are right (have
you considered a substitute pressure plate while you are in there?), confirm
that you are using the proper gear oil, too heavy or too light will cause
shifting problems.  Oil that's too heavy will cause the gears to slow too quickly
(and grind), Oil that's too light won't provide enough slowing of the gears and
the trans (and will grind). Zillions of cars have been build using the
hardware, you just have a bad part or two.  Put things (including the oil) back to
original specs and it will work like a charm.
Craig Nicol

<snip>Now I am positive that it is either the clutch itself or the pilot
bushing.  I think it is most likely the pilot bushing.

I will have to bite the bullet and pull out the drivetrain again to examine
things.  As I mentioned before, the NOS input shaft seemed to fit very snug in
the new pilot bushing.  That plus the fact that I did not soak the bushing in
oil before installing it(I simply sprayed oil on it) might be why this problem
exists. Charles <unsnip>