<VV> 66 Turbo Troubles

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:44:55 -0400

Hi Sam.

I wasn't sure anybody answered your question.  Is your boost/vacuum
gauge operating?  Maybe you're getting a modest amount of boost and are
expecting a "kick".  Since the Corvair turbo is not wastegated, the
designers chose to use the turbine/impeller combo to limit boost.  Any
leak in the exhaust (the "Y" pipe to input pipe is a problem I have) or
an engine not warmed up enough to expecting boost in first gear is
suspect.
	Oil consumption can be the result of high RPM on your boost
attempts.  It could also be a result of a leaky carbon seal (you would
see smoke) or a bad exhaust seal.
	I'd try to get a gauge on the manifold.  Even if it's a Loong
hose snaked through the window, you need to see...

JED
'66 180 CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf Of Sam & Marissa
Andolino
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 9:10 PM
To: Virtualvairs
Subject: <VV> 66 Turbo Troubles

We are having trouble with our  '66 Turbo.  We had the turbo rebuilt by
reputable company, but it will not kick in.  We warm the engine up and
then
stomp on the accelerator, but the engine seems to just accelerate
normally
without a turbo boost, even going uphill.

Also, while trying to using the turbo, the car loses oil.  It does not
lose
oil under normal driving conditions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sam & Marissa Andolino