<VV> valve springs

John McMahon jmac2112@adelphia.net
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:32:30 -0400

I asked about this a few days ago, but I really didn't frame the question
right, so here goes again.  On my engine, the valve springs can be moved
around under the top caps.  I have worked on a few other engines
(non-Corvair), and I know for a fact that they all had caps that were well
located in the springs, in such a way that there was no movement.  On this
engine, I can take a screwdriver and pry my springs about 1/8" side to side.
Is this normal?  If not, any ideas what could be going on?  I have had the
engine running, but have not driven the car.  It idles nicely, but this has
me worried.

Thanks,

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe 110