<VV> Valve cover material

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:34:15 -0400

Over the past 38 years, the terne plating on my valve covers has worn off,
exposing bare steel, which has rusted quite thoroughly. Every few years, I
scrape most of the rust off, mostly to prevent rust-through. Does rust
(ferrous oxide) transfer heat efficiently?
     If I ever knocked the rust off thoroughly (sandblasting, etc.), I'd be
tempted to go with some durable metal plating to resist corrosion (I don't
think you can get terne down at the shop, but you can get chrome). Short of
that, I might be tempted to spray it with clear urethane or something like
that, knowing as I did so that I was impairing the covers' heat-dissipation
capabilities. Along with salt spray, heat IS a constant threat here in South
Florida.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Clark Hartzel
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 7:39 PM
To: Virtual Vairs
Subject: <VV> Valve cover material

According to Chevrolet Engineering drawing 3813005, the cover is made of
A.I.S.I. 1008 or 1010 Terne plate steel GM 174-M
.042-.052 with optional plating: electro-zink plated.  Part must withstand
24 hours exposure to salt spray.
I guess if it made it thru 24 hours it could rust out on the second day and
be OK!!!
Clark Hartzel, CORSA museum Curator