<VV> Left/Right Adjuster Springs on 65-60 Brakes

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:06:26 -0400

I just installed a brake-spring kit from Clark's, and for the REAR brakes, I
note an instruction to use the red spring on the left and the other spring
(it's white) on the right. No equivalent instruction for the front. This is
the spring that attaches the two shoes at the bottom. Lots of wrong ways to
install this spring.
     The springs I replaced were both white (and were identical). The new
springs are, of course, mirror images of each other. I don't think earlier
versions of the spring kits had this attribute; I think the springs were the
same left and right. The instruction sheet is NOT explicitly for the Corvair
but rather, implicitly, for ANY car to which the kit applies. The sheet does
not seem to be produced by Clark's (it has no Clarks part numbers on it,
etc.).
     Does this attribute arise from Corvair requirements, or from
requirements of some other application? Of course, with the springs
differing (now), I assume they must be installed on the correct sides even
on the Corvair, and I did. I can't find any evidence of left/right brake
springs in my GM Corvair Parts Catalog.
     My main reason for wondering is that I am still trying to diagnose the
cause of my brakes sometimes pulling to the left, particularly when applied
hard. I haven't tested my car, now with the two-tone brake springs, since
doing the work.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C