<VV> Knocking Out Adjuster Knockouts in Brake Drums

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:43:42 -0400

     This continues a campaign of mine to eliminate pulling to one side in
my 66 Corsa's brakes. I have replaced all springs, one leaking wheel
cylinder, and shoes with carbon-Kevlar. The question has to do with the
usefulness of and problems caused by knocking out the knockouts in the drums
provided for purposes of initial adjustment of the (stock) self-adjusting
shoes.
     I assume it isn't difficult to knock them out. Once they are out, are
the brakes significantly more prone to getting wet or otherwise
contaminated? The spring kits came with rubber plugs of a type I have used
in the backing plates of many other cars (including my 1961 Corvair with
manual-adjusting brakes). They look like they would fit the holes in the
drums. Do they work well in the drums?
     Does use of the holes significantly improve the evenness of the
(initial) adjustments on the brake shoes? Or is it just as effective to put
them in with a little extra clearance and finalize them by backing up and
applying the brakes a few times?
     I appreciate all comments based on actual experience of Corvairs with
self-adjusting brakes, particularly late models.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C