<VV> Starting Problem

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:54:32 EDT

Hi Brian,

It is probably a temperature related problem.  That is ... a starter temp
problem, not necessarily an engine temp problem.  Whether or not the engine is
hot, when the carbs run dry, you need to crank the starter for a long period of
time.  The starter gets HOT.  The starter is designed for relatively short
term use.  With that said, there is a possibility that the ignition / starter
switch has the same issue.  The power that runs through the switch to the
solenoid is minor compared to the power that turns the starter motor but is still
significant.  The power running through the switch may be heating things up and
making the contacts stick.  You do not want an under-the-dash fire.

Here is an experiment.  Disable the ignition so that the engine will not
start.  Check to see if you can make the starter stick on by jumping the solenoid
under the car.  If you can do that, the problem is with the starter/solenoid
and probably not in the switch.

WARNING!  If you do not have a remote starter button, get one.  They are
cheap and readily available at your FLAPS.  It is never a great idea to be
jumpering contacts on the starter while crawling around under the car.  If you do so,
make sure that both rear wheels are off the ground and that you are using
GOOD jack stands and that they are on a concrete or similar base and that they
are placed under a point on the underside of the car that will not allow them to
slip.  If you have a set of those split steel tube jack stands, throw them
out before you are tempted to use them for anything other than a paper weight.
They are dangerous.  Also, things like cinder blocks or even concrete blocks
are an accident waiting to happen.

Lastly, be ready to disconnect the battery to stop the starter once you
determine where the problem is.  You don't want to fry a perfectly good starter.

Good luck,
Doc