<VV> Curious Question - idling

Dale Dewald dkdewald@pasty.net
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:26:31 -0400

At 06:55 PM 10/20/04 -0400, Garland wrote:
>When driving my corvair and need to stop,  if I am going to be out of  car
>less then 5 min. I leave car runing. I feel that it is better to idle
>and  cool
>down than restarting hot car. Does anyone have an opinion on what is  best.

With a gasoline engine at operating temperature it makes no sense to idle
at a pause in your trip for more than 30 seconds (about the wait for a
traffic light) without shutting down.  For diesels you may extend that time
to 1 minute.  Any more idling only wastes fuel.  Other circumstances may
warrant longer idling, such as; engine not yet up to normal operating
temperature, low outside ambient temperatures (< 30 F) and you need to
maintain heater/defroster function, or recent high speed/high load
operation (engine higher than normal operating temperature).  If your
engine will not start after sitting for 5 minutes after shutting it down
from normal operating temperature then something is wrong with the fuel,
ignition, or cooling systems.

Watch what UPS drivers do...they have been taught to shut off the engines
of their delivery trucks 20 feet away (or more) from their destination,
then start and get under way in less than 5 seconds.  This apparently has
no detrimental effect on the vehicle, but it does save fuel.

The only vehicle I idle for any period of time to allow for cooling is my
Dodge truck with its Cummins diesel engine.  I try to let the exhaust
temperature gauge (turbocharger) cool below 350F before shutting down so as
to not cook the oil in the turbocharger bearings.  Usually this ends up
being less than a minute.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI