<VV> Leak! Leak! Leak!

Darrin Hartzler dhartzler@ifc.org
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:53:24 -0400

I have been lurking a bit since I last asked for advice in July on
trailering a 66' Monza convertible home from central Penn. to Bethesda, MD
where I live.  With your advice and the hands-on help of Bill E. I was
able to get the car home on a dolly by hanging a transaxle and towing it
backwards (interestingly, subtracting the 150 miles of the tow from the
odometer...did not know it was so easy to erase miles).

Well, over the summer I blasted and painted all the sheetmetal on the
turbo engine I had sitting around and resealed everything and converted
this auto trans Monza to a 4 speed TurboMonza.  All is well, the engine
runs beautifully and the car is finally registered.

However, in honor of my upbringing, I had to screw at least one thing
up...and here is where I need your advice.

I made the mistake of putting Amsoil synthetic gear lube in a
trans/transaxle that had been sitting for several years (with nary a
leak).  Because the old gear lube was still there, I assumed that it would
hold synthetic oil just fine.

Wrong.

I have expensive Amsoil all over my garage floor from a slow drip that
seems to be coming from the edges of the yoke that holds the inner
U-joints, though I have not put it up on jack stands yet to properly
investigate.

Here are my questions:

1)  Has anybody else  had similar problems with synth gear lube on these
transaxles?
2)  Is there any possibility that going back to dino gear lube will
staunch the flow of fluid?
3)  Is there any complication involved in going from synth to dino in such
a case as this (other than the challenge of getting all the synth fluid
out of the trans and transaxle)?  Any tips on that as well?  I am assuming
I can use some variation on a siphon for this.
4) Is there any chance that the seals that are leaking will magically make
themselves whole by putting a few more miles on the current arrangement
with the synth still there ( i.e. will they heat up/swell/rehydrate and
seal)?
...and, most importantly...
5)  Will they do so with dino gear lube or should I just go to plan B?

Plan B is to cut to the chase and pull the tranny and re-seal the sides.

Of course, I will spend a couple of hours poking around this weekend to
see exactly where the leak is and if it is just one side or both, but your
experience and advice on this would be much appreciated.

Any help and/or experience much appreciated.

Darrin

66' TurboMonza
65' TurboDonor
68' Camaro RS