<VV> Brakes that pull - was:Knocking Out Adjuster Knockouts in Brake Drums

Jim McLott Jim.McLott@DOR.GA.GOV
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:06:29 -0400

What a lucky coincidence (for me) that this thread came up on
VirtualVairs while I also am trying to cure a brake pull to the right.
A couple of years ago the front wheel cylinders and brake hoses were
replaced when my '66 Monza was upgraded to a dual master cylinder.  I
had hoped then that this would cure my pulling brakes since the brake
shoes themselves appear clean and have lots of lining left.  The brakes
kept pulling though, especially when you step on them hard and sudden,
which is exactly the wrong time to be worried about which way the car is
going to go.  About a month or so ago, someone mentioned that weak
springs could also cause this kind of problem.  I ordered a new set of
springs and as I prepared to install them, I finally noticed that the
previous owner had removed the self-adjusting hardware and the star
wheels were frozen.  So it was back to the catalog to order the
self-adjusters.  By this weekend I should have everything installed and
maybe the brake pull will finally be cured.

Joe Potts, be sure and let us know what finally cures your brake pull.
I'm sure there are more people than just you and me with this problem.

Bill Hubble, thanks for the advice on how to assemble the actuator,
pivot and override spring on the self-adjusters.  My workshop was sorely
missing a vise and you gave me a great excuse to get one.

And finally, my question: The replacement spring kit includes 4
replacement brake shoe hold down springs, the ones that slip over the
hold down pins.  Two springs are painted blue and have coils of equal
size.  Two springs are painted green and have smaller coils on one end.
Do the springs with smaller coils fit over the self-adjusters or do the
blue, equal sized coil springs fit there?

As always, tia
Jim McLott & Christine, the '66 Monza convertible she-devil
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and (temporarily) Group Red

P.S.  Will David Clamp of the Heart of Georgia chapter contact me
off-list?  I have some pictures from Vairs At The Fair that you might be
able to use in your newsletter.