<VV> Ebay scam-results

Charles Lee chaz@ivic.net
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:49:12 -0700

You can check the validity of links in email or websites by simply placing
the cursor over the link and checking the "Status Bar" of the email program
or browser (in the lower left corner) to see what the REAL link is.

For example, putting the cursor on the "Submit" button, my status bar shows
"www badscripts com" (I left out the 'dots'), which is where you will go if
you click it.  What happens when you do that is probably a program that will
install spyware on you computer, such as a "key trace" program that will
give him (usually a "him") a record of every key you press, including
passwords and user ID #s, etc.

Putting the cursor on the words "Account Status Update" button (with a very
real looking eBay display), my status bar shows "ebay.advancenetworking.com"
which can belong to anyone in the world.

Be even more suspicious if you see an "IP" address (i.e. "66.195.19.43") in
the status bar.  That could be a PC address that can be, and move, anywhere
!

Also look for random characters (i.e. "zsozihwi" or "xbexaiia" or
"wmkwpkwp") in the subject line - these are to fool spam filters and are
kind of a signature and are a sure sign of an attempt to fool you.

Be aware that simply having the word "ebay" or "paypal" or "citibank" does
not make it official or genuine, as in "ebay.idtheft.com" or
"123.45.67.89/ebaysecurity.php" (especially the "php" part) or
www.paypaypalsecurity.com," or anything like that.

If in any doubt at all (!) do not click on anything,.

forward all email, as is, to spoof@paypal.com.  It may not be theirs but the
perpetrators have probably designed a page for every financial institution
on the web and it can used as evidence, especially in large numbers.

Hope this helps,

Be careful !  (Banks will almost always cover you, but it's a hassle !)

Chaz