<VV> Curious Question

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:19:54 EDT

Hi Garland,

Yes, I have an opinion on what is best.

ALWAYS shut the engine off and take the keys with you.  I assume that you
must live in a small town or some other place with a low crime rate.  Even so,
there is always the temptation to some transient or teenage joy rider who either
figures that he won't get caught or you "deserve it" for leaving it running.
I lived in a very rural town in Minnesota before moving to SoCal a few years
ago and saw this practice on occasion.  It was usually to keep the heater
going during the winter.  It was always the older folks who grew up when things
were relatively secure even in the city.  What would your insurance company say
if your car was stolen under those circumstances?  Also, the police in many
communities can ticket you for leaving your car running and unattended.

Obviously, if you have a restart problem, you may want to leave it running
but I assume that you would fix that at your earliest opportunity.  If you have
an overheating problem during normal driving conditions, you should fix it.
You may trade the restart problem for a fried engine.  JMHO

Doc