<VV> Anyone out there??

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:02:07 -0700

At 03:26 hours 10/22/2004 +0100, Alan and Clare Wesson wrote:
>Tony wrote:
>
>> Ohmygawdnowyoudoneit.
>> Curse Of The Bambino
>> ...and has Boston ever gotten past the "Buckner Bumble"
>> My heart went out to that guy...
>

>What on earth is this lot all about? I could have sworn you seemed sane last
>week (week before), but this all seems to be gibberish...

This happens during pennant playoffs...  ;)   Guys on this side of the pond
(some of 'em) become glazed-eyed and irritable and they're prone to
muttering things like "extra-innings" and "7th inning stretch" and "infield
fly rule" and "designated hitter".

Then they drink a lot of beer.

Wait until the World Series gets going... particularly with Boston
involved...

By the way:   Bill Buckner, Boston 1st baseman, in 1986 was working his
spot on 1st base and the Mets were at bat... the series was led by Boston
who had won 3 of the last 5 games played (out of a total of 7 games of the
Series) and Boston was within ONE OUT of winning the World Series... and
the Mets batter hit a little bouncer-roller dribble straight at Buckner,
easy out.   To Buckners horror the ball dipped and slipped under his
outstretched glove and rolled between his legs like something from a Warner
Brothers cartoon.   The Mets batter (I don't remember his name  but I sure
remember Buckner and his dismay) made it to 1st base, which sparked a rally
and the Mets scored more runs and went on to win that game and tie the
series at 3 games each.   The NY Mets went on to win the 7th game and the
World Series in a fairy-tale happy ending (for them, anyway) and Boston
went back home carrying the world (and the curse of the Bambino) on their
shoulders...  the disappointment was so thick you could cut it with a
knife.

For those not baseball literate, the Bambino was another nickname for
George Herman Ruth, aka "The Babe", who had been a Boston player before
they traded Ruth to the NY Yankees.   Ever since then, Boston has *never*
won another World Series.   "Babe" Ruth went on to become one of the
greatest baseball legends of all time, with home run and hitting records
that stood for decades after his death.     And the Boston Red Sox have
been laboring under "the curse of the Bambino" ever since they traded him.

Their last attempt, against the Mets, was in 1986...  which would have been
theirs if not for Buckners unfortunate fate to be there at that time and
place and have that little pebble on the baseline deflect at the last
instant that dribbling little grounder rolling straight at him...

Now, Boston has another chance to rid themselves of The Curse...   I've
never been much of a Boston fan (I was pulling for the Mets last time) but
I'll be in the Boston camp for this World Series playoff.    If nothing
else, it needs to be done in order to absolve Buckner who didn't do
anything wrong but still got so much flak over the "Buckner Bumble" that I
heard he had to leave town and move to Idaho.

On a lighter note...   last night I painted the workbench in the freshly
constructed "Vair workshop" building... today when I get off work I'll be
hanging shelves and moving in tools and parts etc.   I still need to paint
the outside and will if it ever dries out and stops drizzling rain.

Damn, you'd think this was England or Oregon...         ;)

tony..