<VV> VV 4 Door Seals (Lates)

John Miller jncmiller@mchsi.com
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:30:39 -0500

   It was my experience that the late model weatherstrip (upper window) seals
for the late model 4 door hardtop are not designed properly. I purchased two
"new" strips from two different vendors on opposite coasts and both leaked
worse than the cracked and hardened  ones I removed from my car. I then
contacted the manfacturer of these seals (this company supplied both vendors)
and they sent me a third weatherstrip which was better but still incorrect.
   I "fixed" the problem (frustrated by suppliers) by appling a chemical to
soften and expand the seal which solved the problem to some extent. It appears
they made a flimsy double groove continuously down the strip which, on the
original, was only grooved about 4 inches in the middle of the front and rear
doors. The original had a solid flap (not a double groove) about 3/16" on the
outside glass with a groove behind it for the window to drop into.
  Also the original seal extended down nearly 3/16" more than the
replacements. I believe this was to hold the larger glass area and resulting
air pressure against the seal of a four door. Coupes probably dont need this
type construction as the same seal works fine on those. I am not sure but
perhaps they just lengthened the coupe seal (modified) to fit the 4 door. I
sent a cross section of my original to the manufacturer but havent heard if
they changed this or not
   I see Clarks was trying to find a NOS 4 door seal  in the catalog
supplemnts but am not sure if they succeeded.   And yes the windows did not
need to be adjusted up and the doors did not sag ! It was just a non tested,
non engineered part that was being sold. They did not whistle like Slim
Whitman from the factory !
   If anyone has an update on this I would appreciate hearing back.

                                        John Miller
                                        Iowa