<VV> CHT data

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:51:42 -0700

At 09:59 PM 10/23/2004 -0500, Roger Gault wrote:
>Remember that the VDO gauges are TC gauges, not Thermistors.  So, the VDO
>actually reads the temperature difference between the ring and the connector
>near the ring (about a foot away as I remember).  When I checked mine, it
>looked like the VDO gauge reading assumes that the connector is at about
>70F.  So, you might look at where the connectors are, and what removing the
>shrouds did to the temperature in that area.  That might explain some of the
>wierdness.
>
>Roger Gault

Hi Roger,
They are WHAT??  It is my understanding these are thermocouples and as
such, they generate a small voltage proportional to temperature RIGHT AT
the junction of the thermocouple.  Yes, there are different thermocouple
junctions with different curves for temperature, but none of these are
related to the difference between the junction where the voltage is
generated and the temperature of the connector.  If you can provide some
additional reference for your theory, I would like to learn more about it,
but I believe you are mistaken.  And to do this right, you should use
thermocouple wiring for the best accuracy, but none of this would account
for the temperature difference you are seeing, at least not related to the
connector temps.  Everything is just related to the temperatures of the
thermocouple junction, as I understand it.

-- Larry