<VV> new (aviation) spark plug line

Tom Suter tsuter@eisc.org
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:16:25 -0400

I just read this item in the latest issue of AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots
Assn.) ePilot newsletter.  If these plugs weren't offered by a major
manufacturer like Autolite for the highly-regulated aircraft replacement
parts market I'd ignore it like the usual split-fire snake oil claims.  I
don't own a plane and certainly would never  pay $432 for a set for my
Corvairs, but thought the EGT observation was most interesting.  I'm not
sure how the nature of the spark would lower EGT other than by misfiring,
so I assume that's not part of the concept.  ;-)

FWIW,
Tom Suter

UNISON LAUNCHES NEW SPARK PLUG LINE
Unison Industries now offers a new line of Autolite XL Fine Wire Aviation
Spark Plugs. The $72 plugs have iridium wires that are less susceptible
to corrosion than conventional plugs. The company promises the plugs will
last longer and provide better combustion. Bruce Bohannon, who in November
will attempt to set a world altitude record of 50,000 feet in his piston-
powered Exxon "Flyin' Tiger," said he recently installed the plugs and
noticed a 100-degree drop in exhaust gas temperatures.