<VV> RE: Car cover

Nick Elzinga starship@worldonline.co.za
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:34:55 +0200

Bill,

take a look at:

http://www.coverit.com

http://www.pioneersteel.com

http://heritagebuildings.com

http://www.usbuildingsdirect.com

Nick Elzinga

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org [mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of Bill Elliott
Sent: 25 October 2004 08:00 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> RE: Car cover

For what it's worth, I like the cheap lightweight nylon covers outside. They
keep leaves and dirt out...
divert some water, and dry out quickly. I wouldn't do this on a real nice
car, though. But I think they're
better than nothing for an outside car.  Inside I use thin cotton covers.

While we're on this subject.... let's talk about outside storage.

I need some additional garage space (those that know me are not surprised)
but really don't want to
spend $20k on a pole barn with concrete floor (as I built in Wisconsin)...
and my wife (bless her for letting
me carry on with cars like I do) really doesn't want another  permanent
garage that she has to look at.

Now, my first inclination was to buy some 40' storage containers (like Larry
Claypool uses) and put them
below my detached garage where we couldn't see them from the house. And the
neighbor on that side
is not very friendly anyway! (VBG)

It's too close to the property line to build anything permanent there... but
after talking to a few container
companies, I don't have enough access for them to drop a 20' in there, much
less a couple of 40'ers.
And the wife has laid down the law against storage containers in the places
they _could_ get to.

So now I'm thinking about those metal "build yourself" carports which are
not considered permanent
and which I could enclose with cheap plastic tarps...

Also considering the temporary build-it-yourself canvas garages, but these
cost as much as the metal
carports and I doubt they would last as long...

Not looking for 100% weather proof storage... I have enough of that for the
"good" cars... just looking for
something that protects the projects a little better than sitting out in the
rain and sun.

Then there is the flooring issue... concrete will run over $10k, pavement
something like $5k (and both
kind of hurt the "temporary" placement right at the property line) Gravel?
Wood? Other suggestions?

Finally, I guess I could stick-build something, but then we get into the
permance issue again.

Selling off cars is an option the wife would support, but I'm not so keen on
it myself....

So to recap some options...
8x40 containers are about $2100 each delivered.
8x20's are just a bit less.
30x40 storage builing with concrete floor is about $20k, without the floor
$10k
20x20 metal carport about $800-900 each delivered
20x20 canvas garage about $1000 delivered
10x20 "self storage" rates are $188/mo
8x24 car trailers start at $3500 each...

Thoughts?
Bill Elliott