<VV> Was Car cover/Moisture. Now Humidistat

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:57:37 EDT

Hi JR,

I don't know if this has been addressed but you can buy a humidistat any
number of places including your neighborhood HVAC professional, eBay and maybe
even your DIY stores.  However, you may want to consider several things.  If you
have a single stat that turns on the vent fan when the humidity gets to the
set point inside the garage, you may be sucking in air from outside that has
higher humidity.  This defeats your purpose.  You may want to consider a
differential system with a stat both inside and outside.  If the humidity is higher
outside, it will override the stat inside and prevent the fan from starting.
Honeywell, Johnson Controls and others make these dual bulb stats or you can do
this with two separate stats if one has normally open capability and the other
has normally closed capability.  You will also either want an industrial stat
that can carry the current of the fan or you will need a relay to switch on
the fan if you use a light duty stat.  If you install a through-the-wall or a
window AC instead of a vent fan, you can control it with a humidistat and dry
the air inside the garage whatever the outside humidity is.  If you do this,
you probably will want to set the AC on full recirculate if it has that setting.
 Again, if the AC vents air, it will potentially pull in humid air from
outside that will need to be dried out.  You will need to fiddle with the
thermostat on the AC to allow the humidistat to override the control at low
temperature.  Lastly, the moisture condensed from the air inside the garage needs to
drain somewhere.  If you are in a colder climate, the drain port of the AC may
freeze over outside.  The water must go somewhere and may even end up draining
back into your garage.  You can drain the moisture into a sink or floor drain
inside the garage if you have one.  Have fun.

Doc