<VV> Gee, runs much better now with all the parts

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:45:50 EDT

When I converted my '66 to EFI in, the original, low mile 140 went into the
barn.  When I purchased the car in '95 it wasn't running.  Fresh carbs and
points got it running, but it never ran very well.  I built a fresh engine, put
the original motor in the barn. Over the years,  I just started picking pieces
here and there off of the old motor and it was really looking like a skeleton
of it's former self.

Last summer, I wanted to send my Evening Orchid Corsa to the bodyshop with an
engine that I wouldn't mind them overspraying or otherwise damaging, the old
140 in the barn was the perfect candidate, plus if I didn't get all the
missing pieces replaced, I was looking at having a completely useless "spare" engine.

I rounded up the missing pieces, put Humpty back together, and sent him
bumping down the road.  Well, the Corsa is back and I decided to check the
compression on the old 140.  165 (+/-) on five cylinders and zero on one.  Pressurized
the cylinder with shop air and... virtually no leaks. Hmm.  Broken pushrod?
Pull valve cover - Hey #5 has a broken intake pushrod but look at this: NO #5
exhaust pushrod! So that's why it never ran that well. Install (used) pushrods
and adjust: 160# compression.  A quick set of wires, plugs, and accelerator
pumps and voila, she runs perfectly.  Imagine that, these Corvairs require all
12 pushrods to run well!  This is the first "Ultra" motor that I have done in
25+ years - what fun!
Craig Nicol