<VV> Gee, ULTRA ENG> runs much better now with all the parts

Corvkid50@aol.com Corvkid50@aol.com
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:02:26 EDT

b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b" Original Message
b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"
b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b" Original  Message
b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"b"
In a  message dated 10/29/04  9:49:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
NicolCS@aol.com
writes:

>  I rounded up the missing pieces, put Humpty back  together, and sent  him
> bumping down the road.  Well, the Corsa is  back and I  decided to check
the
> compression on the old 140.  165  (+/-)  on five cylinders and zero on one.
> Pressurized
> the   cylinder with shop air and... virtually no leaks. Hmm.   Broken
pushrod?

> Pull valve cover - Hey #5 has a broken  intake  pushrod but look at this:
NO
> exhaust pushrod! So  that's why  it never ran that well. Install (used)
> pushrods
>  and adjust:  160# compression.  A quick set of wires, plugs,  and
accelerator
>  pumps and voila, she runs perfectly.   Imagine that, these Corvairs
require

> all
> 12 pushrods to run  well!  This is the first "Ultra"  motor that I have
done
>  in
> 25+ years - what fun!
> Craig   Nicol
I  picked up a 65 4-door 140 PG a few years ago. Windows were down and it
was
sitting outside. Body wasn't bad. All the engine pieces were there.  I
blocked off the secondaries and did a compression test. pass side 3 had  zero
compression. I pulled the head and nothing wrong. Ather it was off I
remember
the
valves seemed to be a wee bit tight. Put it back on and had  full
compression.
It started right up and ran great. My 16 yr old Step  daughter drove  it for
6
months. I sold it after that. The car had sat  for 7 yrs before I got  it. A
true dimond in the  rough.