<VV> Re: hunidity and condensation

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:53:53 +0000

> From: HallGrenn@aol.com
> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:59:53 EDT

> A DRY dirt floor is as good as anything else that is dry. But a dirt floor
> that gets WET often is bad. The worst is a car cover that doesn't breathe over
> a car stored on a wet dirt floor. And not just for Corvairs. after only
> three years our church van with less than 20K had rusted out lower A-arms on the > front suspension and a transmission oil pan that rusted through after being
> stored over dirt than got wet frequently. Brake lines and rear AC and heater
> tubing rusted out as well.

What make of van is it?  As recently as 2001 there seemed to be a big difference between manuafacturers' opinions of  acceptable undercarriage painting and protection.  For years some manufacturer left suspension parts bare steel.

My boss bought a new 1973 Ford Squire wagon.  He kept it until he bought a new 1978 OLDS diesel wagon, at which time the center pillar between the front and rear passenger doors was perforated badly with rust (Massachusetts).

When we built our house, the basement floor contractor (unsuccessfully) resisted my request to put a heavy poly vapor barrier down first. I personally waterproofed the foundation exterior (down and aroung the footing) and installed 2 inch foam insulation before it was back filled.  The stuff down there says nice and dry.

I would put a serious vapor barrier (plastic or metal, NOT Tykek or brown paper) on the bare ground below a wooden floor.