<VV> Use Tilt Switch for Compressor Cutout?

Jim Bannister jimster1@earthlink.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:20:12 -0700

I see a problem using this kind of switch as it would be continuously
tripping due to road vibration, bumps etc.  In car alarm mode, these are
quite sensitive to motion, hits etc.  How about using  the socket for a
trunk light, that has the mercury contacts in it that turns on the light
when you raise the lid.  I'm sure that you could position it so that it
would be closed when the deck lid was down.
Jim B.  '66 turbovert

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org [mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of N. Joseph Potts
Sent: October 30, 2004 6:51 PM
To: Corvair List
Subject: <VV> Use Tilt Switch for Compressor Cutout?

Looking for a substitute for the switch on 66~69 that cuts out the
compressor when the engine-compartment lid is opened, I came up with the
switch at this link.

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.js
p?SKU=60-8555

Has anyone used this switch, or its equivalent (tilt switch for car alarm)
in this application? My main concern would be that it might not handle the
current required for the compressor clutch.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C