<VV> Re: Traction control

DTerry8123@aol.com DTerry8123@aol.com
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:54:49 EST

I've had similar experiences in snow and ice in Atlanta, before they  started
putting salt on the roads. In the early '60s when we had snow, I would  drive
my father to work in downtown Atlanta and drive his '60 Vair  back home. As
the schools were closed, I would drive around the  neighborhood, go across town
to visit some friends or find an empty parking lot  to practice skid control.
One time I came upon a steep hill in a residential  area. There were several
cars stuck part way up and at the bottom. As I started  up the hill, several
people at the bottom, shouted at me to not go up because I  would get stuck. I
just smiled, put it in 1st. and drove straight up the hill.  When I was living
in Columbia, SC, about 25 years ago, we had a good snowfall  there. I got out
the Corsa and drove the 9 miles into town to a newsstand to by  the Atlanta
Sunday paper. There were only about 8 or 9 cars on the freeway. I  passed them
all, including a Jeep. Since the DOT has started using salt, I no  longer get
the Vair out in snow unless I get it out before they have had a  chance to put
down salt.

Dan Terry
'65 Corsa 140 coupe
Corvair Atlanta