<VV> Resurrection

Stephen Upham contactsmu@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:07:54 -0600

	I put my new, and I might add very well restored, set of '65 plates on
the Monza and took it to get its state inspection yesterday.  The old
boy who owned the shop told me that his first new car was a '61 sedan.
The inspection was painless, cheap, and took only a few minutes once
they started on it.
	The PG still shifts from low to drive in a normal manner the first
time after you start to drive, but then goes into the annoying action
of shifting at about 400 rpm on the subsequent shifts no matter what
you do to the throttle.  The engine sounds great, has good torque, and
has really good compression.  We did experience an issue with the
blower bearing.  It was kicking out lubricant.  We took the carburetor
linkage off and repacked the bearing.  We then ran it again and didn't
get any noise or further lubricant expulsion.  We'll keep our eye on
and ear out for any deterioration of the condition.  Hopefully, I'm not
looking at replacing a bearing.
	 I spent the rest of the afternoon taking out the old trunk seal and
putting in a new one (Clark's ultimate seal kit) that I bought last
year when I started this whole process.  It was a bear to remove, but
then I obsessed with making  sure that I got every last bit of old seal
that I possibly could using a screwdriver, wire brush and even an
angled ice pick to get under the lip of the retaining edge on the car.
That operation took about an hour.  The installation was a breeze and
only took about fifteen minutes.  The seal is very tight.  Now, I
really have to put some pressure on the lid to get the trunk to latch.
: )
	 Our next project is the rebuilding of the internal components of the
alternator to enhance its operational capabilities.  I will try to
complete the registration of the plates/car this week. Regardless, I'm
definitely going to take her to our club meeting (North Texas Corvair
Association) next weekend.

Until I get a web site up, I'll try to have pictures available upon
request as time will allow.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (now closer to 112)
Sierra Tan (originally, currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K
(for now)
(Out of group red for the first time in twelve years!)

'94 Probe GT 5-Sp (2.5L / 164 hp)
'01 Dodge Durango SLT (4.7L /  235 hp)