<VV> Half Shafts ... Now Torque Tubes

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:41:29 EST

Hi Tim,

Yes, torque tubes worked well for their purpose but torque tubes as I know
them are not used to transmit torque from the engine to the drive wheels.
(Despite the name.)  They basically were used (and still are in some exotics) to
house the drive shaft from front to back.  They did not rotate.  Their purpose
was to stiffen the drive train eliminating the need for a second U-joint and
such things as traction bars.  In some vehicles with half shafts at the driven
end, they were even used as structural members.  In effect; they are part of
the vehicle's frame.  Again, I believe that my statement is well based
technically.  You can use solid shafts as in EMs or hollow shafts as in LMs and there
are benefits and drawbacks to each.  The EMs with one U-joint and the peculiar
wheel bearing almost required a solid shaft to be cost effective.  The
improved rear suspension of the LMs required a dual U-joint setup which allowed the
use of the hollow half shafts.

Doc
~~~~~~~
In a message dated 10/31/2004 10:51:25 AM Pacific Standard Time, YENBAT