<VV> Corvair half shafts...

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:42:56 EST

Yes Tim,

That struck me after I sent off my initial response.  Some torque tube
systems use solid and some use hollow shafts to transmit torque but you are right,
the older ones pretty much used solid drive shafts.  I believe but do not know
for a fact that a major reason for using a solid shaft was because they were
much smaller diameter which allowed for a reasonably sized torque tube.  I
believe that in the last half century, all drive shafts have been of a hollow
shaft design unless dimensional constraints were imposed such as the use of a
torque tube.  Both hollow shafts and solid shafts will work but manufacturers do
not universally move to one technology without either cost or performance
benefits and in this case, both benefits IMHO.  I would be happy to discuss this at
length off list since this doesn't seem to have much to do with Corvairs any
more.

Doc