<VV> LED taillights

Marc Sheridan sheridanma@adelphia.net
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:06:23 -0400

Norm,
My experience with LED's on a Corvair is with the 1157 bulb replacement
variety. I was very disappointed. Upon further research online, I found
a web site selling LED's that said brightness was not one of the
advantages of LED's. The main advantage is long life. The disadvantages
are high initial cost and a very directional light pattern.

What I ended with for my tail lights was the metal sockets from NAPA,
standard (not long life) 1157 bulbs, and  white painted reflectors. In
my testing , this set up is much better than the LED replacement bulbs
and slightly better that stock.

Having said all of this, show me what you got and I'll think about it
:o). I'm still impressed with the LED's that trucks run and I like some
of the LED lights that are made for many of the high volume vintage
cars, like the Tri Fives.

For now, I'll stick with what I have, but I'll buy your system if it
proves to be much better. However, I won't commit without seeing and I
doubt many others will either. If you actually make a product that shows
clear superiority over what I have, and demonstrate that, you will sell
many. However, you need to decide if it is worth the risk to develop,
just like any other manufacturer in business today.

Personally, I hope you succeed. I worry about our 40 year old tail
lights among all the new high tech lights, of which very few are LED.

Marc Sheridan
'66 Monza 'vert