<VV> Re: [fastvair] Beaver Run

Levair@aol.com Levair@aol.com
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 00:35:38 EDT

In a message dated 8/31/04 11:08:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, yenko66@cox.net
writes:

<< Thanks to everyone that make these NECC events possible it was a blast and
can't wait for another one. >>

   I couldn't agree more.
  I kept hearing from the officials how the weather had made this the worst
event ever. I also hate the rain, but it was still a great event, and I don't
mean just the track time.
   Since I live in a tropical rain forrest called Indiana, I am always
prepared for a 50/50 chance of rain. I gave up a place at the lakes for just this
reason.
   We had great camaradie from the onset. Famous celebrities wwere there to
visit with-Donna Mae Mimms and Warren and Logan Dernasheck for example.
   Donna Mae was the secretary at Yenko Chevrolet at the time of the Stinger
development. When Don lost his racing license, Donna Mae was called in to
drive the Stinger in his place. She was certainly qualified since winning the
National championships in her Bugeye Sprite. Remember "Think Pink" and "Be a
Swinger in a Stinger".
   Warren Dernesheck was a mechanic on Stingers at the dealership.
  The stories from these persons was worth the trip without any racing.
  The car show sunday was in perfect weather and well represented and
attended.
The Schardt crew, although attending and practicing Sat. and Sun with the
Porsche club at Beaverun, still spent the evenings with us.
  Our race day Monday dawned rainy and stayed that way. Still about 40
stalwart racers showed up to challange the conditions.
   The greatest  hindrence to me was the visibility on the track behind the
instructors cars.( Plastic window, no wipers)We had a new system of a
pace/instrucer car for about every 5 cars. In the rain , it's hard to keep up win an
instructor who is "loafing" around the track.
   A courious thing happen when totally stock cars were grouped with race
cars; the slick tired cars couldn't keep up. High weight, skinnny tires, low
horse power were the ticket. Who could use more then 80 hp anyway?
   At the timed runs, weather was just slightly misty, the track was moist,
but standing water was limited to about 4 places, mainly on the straights.
   It was a tough decision as whether to change to slicks. The old road
racing rule of thumb was if there are no standing puddles, use slicks.
  Most of us had not practiced on slicks but changed anyway. I chose my
softest compounds. Talk about a vertical learning curve.
   Rain driving brings out the "finesse" style of driving and great
discipline.
   We were all about 3 seconds faster on slicks. Conditions varied greatly on
individual's runs, so it was the luck of the draw.
   Still, the best drivers were still mostly at the top with Jim Schardt
winning the "Top Tweety".
   I did get to "barely" beat my sons---whew!
   Trophies were given to every type of car. Totally stock cars got the same
trophy as all out racers.
   There was a good photo opportunity of attemps to make full race engines
exhaust systems to  meet the 95 DB sound level. Then the sound levels weren't
taken.
   The highlight of the trip for me was taking Donna Mae for a ride in my
race Stinger at the end of the day on a dry track. It was glorious fun as my son
Michael was on the track at the same time and I tried hard to close on him to
entertain Donna Mae. I asked her once if she was ready to go in and she said
no---what a trouper! She hadn't raced since 1978. Finally, the officials
thought that we had enough fun and brought (forced) us in. Donna said that she was
"Perfectly Petrified"---ah, just right..
   Donna was a real trouper. She did all of the pit out staging work all day
in her totally pink race gear.
   Our Caravan of 5 Corvair racer tow rigs chattered all the way home while
entertaining the other travelers.
   Time for bed, more later,
   Every one do your best to encourage a Racers Reunion next year,
Warren