<VV> BeaveRun Report

Robert Marlow nortechcorp@optonline.net
Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:29:32 -0400

We've read comments to the effect that the just-completed BeaveRun event
was the "worst" -- as far as weather is concerned.  And it was. But we've
also read comments about how much fun it was -- as far as on-track driving
and off-track socializing is concerned.  And it was!

First, an update:  I caravanned back to New Jersey with John Ryall.  John
has a big case of "race track rheumatism" but otherwise seems to be
okay.  For those who don't know, John is a loyal Corvair guy and NECC
stalwart who pounded the guardrail with his F440 car near the end of the
day.  How hard?  The ambulance rolled but was thankfully unneeded, a pry
bar was necessary to extract the car's exhaust system from the fence, and a
backhoe was needed to tote the car's remains back to the paddock.

However, as hard as John hit, his experience will likely be less costly
than that of Joe Curran.  Joe opted to leave his Corvair at home and drive
his wife's car.  His wife's brand-new car.  Mid-afternoon, Joe overdid it
and the car got away from him under braking.  First the back end hit the
fence, then the front.  It was still driveable, but it wasn't pretty.  Oh
-- did I mention -- the car had fewer than 800 miles.

The only other fence-buster was Norm Latulippe, who lightly tagged the rail
with his RX-7.  Please note that all these incidents involved Corvair
owners driving non-Corvairs.  No Corvairs were harmed during this event.

This includes mine.  I was again on track with my '64 500 coupe, and
despite the wet conditions I never spun all day!  This was not for lack of
trying, the car stepped out a few times but a higher power (not the
driver!) somehow straightened it out each time.  With street tires and
working wipers and low horsepower I could actually run with some fairly hot
cars, but in truth I was not running with them, they were running with me...

I opted to skip my official times laps and just help out on pit road,
because I had gotten plenty of track time.  From that point on I had a ball
directing traffic with Donna Mae Mimms, a true character!

My favorite funny story from the event:  When one skids off the track, one
is required to report to the pit road before continuing.  Smitty had an
"off," and drove to pit road.  Remember, it was a rainy day and the grass
was wet and muddy.  Track rules require one to drive with the window
open.  As Smitty approached, I could see the mud all over his car.  As he
stopped, I could see the mud INSIDE his car, and the tufts of grass hanging
from his helmet.

I am planning to tow my car to Portland for the NECC track event there.

Robert W. Marlow
nortechcorp@optonline.net
---