<VV> Inexpensive Shipping Source (semi long)

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:10:36 -0400

THANKS for this post. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to ship an
engine/power train, and this advice seems priceless to me.
     This message is a real keeper.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of RoboMan91324@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 7:47 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Inexpensive Shipping Source (semi long)

Hello Gang,

Many of us need to ship heavy items on occasion including engines,
transaxles, etc.  I recently had the privilege of having an engine shipped
from Chicago
to Los Angeles and would like to share some of the experience.  The broker I
used is located at the following address.

http://www.freightquote.com/

My cost to ship was $177.63 but may be different for you depending on
locations and the choices you make.  To save money, I had the engine dropped
off at
the terminal in Chicago and picked it up at the terminal in LA.  The cost
would
have been more if it was picked up and delivered door to door.  Of course,
there are always the BS additional fuel surcharge, fees, etc. which, in my
case,
came to an additional $11.35.  Still a pretty good price in my opinion.
Insurance is extra, if you choose to pay for it.

Some tips are as follow.

1.  You will want to put the item on a pallet so that it will arrive intact.
The shipper will not accept the pallet if it seems unsafe or likely that it
will be damaged in shipment.

2.  Be honest with the weight and the pick up and drop off conditions.  If
you tell them that there is a loading platform and there isn't, they will
probably ding you especially if they need to leave and come back with a
truck with a
rear lift.

3.  Use the agent at FreightQuote.com.  Mine was very helpful and his
services are at no charge.  Among other things, he told me what category to
choose on
the shipping forms and saved me about 25% compared to the category I had
originally chosen.  His name is Anthony Schmitt and the toll free number is
888-595-5664 extension 1850.

4.  Once you wade through the original online form, you will see a multitude
of choices in order of increasing price.  If the button is there to check
out
shipping options, check it out.  It will let you drop off or pick up the
item
at one or both ends and other options.  In effect; the cheapest company on
the
original list may not be the cheapest when you are through.

As with most aspects of my life, doo-doo happens.  My engine went astray for
about ten days.  It seems that Anthony took some effort to track the engine
down over and above what the trucking company did.  The broker rarely does
this
especially for such a small shipment as mine was.  I highly recommend
Anthony.

By the way, Anthony told me that they may not be the least expensive broker
for shipping a whole car but said that he would try to find a cost effective
way to ship if there was a requirement.  If anyone needs to ship a car, give
him
a call and see what happens.  Who knows?

If you have any questions, please drop me a line.

Doc