<VV> What Paint Color Goes With a Red Interior? (No Covair)

Harry Yarnell Harry Yarnell" <hyarnell1@earthlink.net
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:22:58 -0400

----and this is ANOTHER reason we're no longer a colony of England------

Harry Yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage
perryman, MD
hyarnell1@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com>
To: "Alan and Clare Wesson" <alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk>;
<virtualvairs@skiblack.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 8:14 AM
Subject: Re: <VV> What Paint Color Goes With a Red Interior? (No Covair)

> >My favourite has always been a dark blue exterior with a red interior.
And
> >there are some really great mica and pearlescent dark blues around
nowadays,
> >if you want to depart slightly from stock but still have a 'nearly stock'
> >look.
>

> This is an interesting "British taste" thing! When I bought my first
British car, a bright orange MG with a black interior.... at my first
British car show, a
> guy said "you can tell that was made for the American market, in the UK
that would be a blue interior". I thought he was deranged!

> Then a year or so later I saw my first UK-spec Midegt.... bright red with
a dark blue interior!

> Fast forward a bunch of years... I go to buy my first Mini.... UK spec
(though assembled in NZ from a knock down kit)... advertised as red with a
black
> interior.  Which is how it looked in the guy's storage building with the
sodium lights. Out in the sun it was the same bright orange as my first
Midget....
> with a very dark blue interior! And I love it!
>
> http://fnader.com/images/Mini/Mini2003.JPG
> http://fnader.com/images/Mini/73am4.jpg
>
> But you just never see that sort of thing over here.... and my '73 Bond
Bug (orange) and my '74 Hillman Imp (orange) both have black interiors. So
> which is actually more common over there?
>
> http://fnader.com/images/Hillman_Imp/Imp.jpg
> http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/bondbug.html  (Mine was not quite this
nice.... "heap" is the more technical term for the actual condition)....

> Finally, my Berkeley was a Motor (UK car magazine) project car in 1976.
The owner had installed a high dollar red leather custom interior and red
wool
> carpets and red hood (top) and side curtains... and the exterior was
bright lime green! I don't have any color pix from the era (the magazine pix
were
> B&W), from the places I can still see green I'm sure it was striking! The
first US owner immediately resprayed in Old English White....