<VV> Blower Bearing

Rick Loving ral1963@earthlink.net
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:03:25 -0400

My vote is that your fan belt is installed too tight, this will bind the
bearing and cause premature failure.

A belt should be installed only by a finger tight pull on the idler.
You should be able to spin the alt/gen fan blade with a single finger
while the belt slides over the pulley.

As the belt heats up from use it actually gets tighter.  If it's too
tight while cold it only gets tighter putting extra stress on the
bearing.

Rick Loving
<SNIP>
There IS a tool to lube the fan bearing, but your failure rate would
indicate something else is going on - unless the replacement bearing
just
had not been lubed at the factory?

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR

> I replaced my second fan bearing in two years. I drive the car about
two
> thousand miles per year. That can't be normal. I guess sitting around
all
winter