<VV> 140 Fuel lines with Electric pump

Larry Forman larry@forman.net
Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:17:44 -1100

----- Original Message -----
From: BEllison@bbafiberweb.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:47:55 -0400
To: virtualvairs@skiblack.com
Subject: RE: <VV> 140 Fuel lines with Electric pump

> Mount the pump, cushioned on top of the differential.  Disconnect from
> mechanical pump, flip them around, turning 180 degrees (either CW, or CCW),
> bring the line in from the front of the engine.  Pics available if you
> like....oops - car is completely apart - can't.  Still best to use steel
> lines in the engine bay, even though you have the lines mostly away from the
> belt.
>
> Barry Ellison
> Corsa SC

Hi Barry,
I am not sure I would recommend that approach.  The electric pumps are designed to push but not pull the gas.  It might work, and I suspect you can verify that, but it is not ideal.  Better is to have the pump mounted down where gas will FLOW into it, and the ideal spot is the front cross member.  The electric pump and be easily mounted there and is out of the way.  It IS susceptible to some rock damage, but I think it should be fine.  It is super simple to plumb from the gas tank there and route rubber fuel lines to the hard line leading back to the engine.  An additional gas filter can be added before the electric pump and that is essential as well as in the area leading to the engine compartment.  This might be overkill, but should help reduce the amount of junk getting into the carbs.

The problem with having the electric high is that if there is ever any vapor that gets in there, the electric will essentially vapor lock, like the stock pump.  And mounting it on top of a hot differential is not helpful either.

-- Larry