<VV> Blower Bearing

airvair airvair@richnet.net
Sat, 04 Sep 2004 10:39:36 -0400

It's not uncommon for even "new" blower bearings to need relubing, as
lubrication can dry out over time. I'd recommend that any new bearing be
lubed upon installation, especially if it's known to have been sitting
on the shelf for any length of time.

I've found that contrary to some opinions, blower bearing CAN and DO go
bad out without much, if any, warning. I've only had two go bad on me in
my 35 years of driving Corvairs, but one of them DID begin squeeking
without warning on a trip to Detroit (two hours out on a three hour
trip). By the time I nursed my car to our destination, it was screaming
like a banshee.

My cure is to use an easily REPLACABLE bearing design from Orville
Eiason. While Orville is no longer in the business, American Pi sells a
replacable cartridge bearing that accomplishes the same goal. Both
designs use common alternator bearings, and allows the bearings to be
replaced without having to gut the top of the engine. In fact, only the
air cleaner and throttle cross shaft have to be removed. This is, of
course, AFTER the bearing unit's initial installation, which, like the
stock unit, requires that the top of the engine be gutted. So if you are
going to have to replace the bearing anyway, or have the engine gutted
in the first place, I highly recommend the stock bearing be replaced
with a REPLACABLE design, such as American Pi sells.

-Mark