<VV> Noise in distributor

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:35:49 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/2004 3:00:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Mikeamauro@aol.com writes:

Noise is still there with cage and weights removed. Noise coming  from
beneath
the remaining plate.  So, I guess there is something  wrong with the bearing?
Mike  Mauro

it is really just a bronze bushing that the distributor shaft rides inside.
You could try a pressure lubrication of it - But I feel I should let you know
that soon, in all likelihood, you will have plenty of engine oil pushing up
past  it, providing plenty of lube.It is one of the various places on the
Corvair  motor where any crankcase pressure leads to leakage. On race motors, we
had to  drill a drain hole in the bottom of the dist to let the oil drain out
before it  filled up and retarded the points/weights. DALE will do a rebuild
with a single  sealed "Ball Bearing" to replace the bushing. Ultimately, that is
the best  solution, if expensive. - Seth