<VV> 69 powertrain removal - it's stuck

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:42:13 -0400

The crossmember is mounted on RUBBER mounts. You can TILT the crossmember
back so that the bottom of the bell clears while the angle it presents to
the front of the transmission grows steeper. The powertrain will come down -
real hard if you don't have it supported toward the front. Bear in mind, you
may have to perform a similar trick putting the powertrain back in. Any
lever will do the job - a big drift or screwdriver or a big adjustable
wrench. Be CAREFUL, particularly coming down.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of ChiefTAM@aol.com
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 7:47 PM
To: virtualvairs@skiblack.com
Subject: <VV> 69 powertrain removal - it's stuck

I am in the process of pulling the powertrain in my 69 Monza Convertible
(110hp/4-speed) using a Sears ATV lift and a 2x4 Finch cart.  I have
everything
unattached, and went the last step to remove the two rear motor mount nuts
and
the 4-bolts holding the tranny to the crossmember.  I can get the motor end
drop down, and the tranny drops down an inch or more, but then it stops.
The
motor continues to come down, but the tranny remains up.

It appears that the round piece on the front upper transmission is hitting
on
the crossmember.  On this car, the crossmember is belled out (to the front
of
the car) to make room for that round piece on the front of the tranny, and
when the tranny drops, it hits the crossmember.  The powertrain came back
about
an inch, but there isn't enough room to allow the front of the tranny to
clear
the crossmember as the oil filter mount is hitting the rear of the engine
compartment.

So, is there a trick to this?  Do I have to remove the transmission
crossmember?  Do I drop the rear of the engine enough to clear the
crossmember and then
pull back and allow the tranny to drop?  (Don't really like that one, but it
is an option)  Any ideas?

Todd
Dallas