<VV> Electrically Challenged

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:24:06 EDT

Rick,
    While I'd normally use a digital multimeter for this (DMM available for
around $10 and up), you can use a simple 12 volt bulb with one lead connected
to ground (any metal part of the dashboard/chassis/body) and the other lead as
a test probe wire.  Check the terminals on the fuse block to see which ones
illuminate the 12 v. bulb with the ignition key off and then with the ignition
key on.  There are unused terminals on the fuse block that you can use for both
of these purposes.  For the "on with lights" find the wire that goes to the
parking/tail and instrument panel lights and tie into this one so you can
illuminate your CD player at night.  Or you could use your console mounted
voltmeter to indicate which fuse block terminals have power and which don't.(:-)
    Generally a DMM is a wise investment since it can be used for many other
electrical troubleshooting problems such as not enough or too much voltage
output from the alternator into the car's electrical system.  Ones that are made
for automotive use frequently have an rpm setting enabling you to measure
engine rpm under different conditions (such as setting idle speed).  They can also
have a dwell setting so you can set your ignition points properly.
    Good luck,
    Frank "electrical training courtesy of U.S. Army" Burkhard

In a message dated 9/7/04 11:29:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,