<VV> Registering an old car from New York in California

Geoffrey A. Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:47:25 -0600

Hello,
We have done this on one of the cars in our fleet.  This is in New Mexico
so it will be different there.  We were given a 61, with nothing else.
Just told to haul it away from the location it had been at for 20 years.
None of the owners were alive or reachable.  First we had to have a stolen
VIN (NCIC database as I recall) check on it done by DMV.  Then we took that
to Talbot Insurance and they wrote a surety bond for us which we took to
DMV and got a title for it. They asked for VIN, description, and the rough
market value of the car, that makes a difference on final cost. Cost was
$100, never really heard if that is refundable or not, in our case I think
not.  Really pretty simple here, but there may be other hoops you might
have to jump through.  If there is any more specific information you need
let me know.
Hope that helps,
Geoff Johnson