<VV> Spark Plug wire routing

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:43:23 EDT

In a message dated 9/7/2004 4:44:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
corvair65@verizon.net writes:

That along
with the wire being thicker, they don't sag as much as the stock  type does.
Right now my distributor looks like a birds nest and I have  wires running
under every low part I can find to keep them from getting  entangled with the
carb linkage.

Russ easy routing for the 140 is a toughy. First, I suggest that you take
advantage of the plastic clips that are available to "buddy-up" the wires that
run parallel. The stock ones (likely long gone) do a fine job, even with 8mm
wire. They can also be used to "pre-load" the wires as they cross. I have some
 if you need them. Speed shops always have them in various colors, including
black. Corvair parts suppliers do, as well.  Another tip that  I use on my
Corsa 140 motor to pull the wires away from the passenger  side linkage, is to
take a nylon wire-tie and pull it into a loose loop, about  1.5" in diameter,
around the number 1 or 3 wire. (cut off the excess wire-tie)  That loop can
slide/hook through the loop in the handle of your oil dipstick and  pull the
wires away from the linkage. The Nylon keeps it electrically isolated.  Remember
to drop the wire-tie out of the dipstick when you are checking your  oil!
Resist the temptation to just wire-tie all the wires on each side  together. Cross-
firing can result. My silicone wires tend to lay-down much  better than the
old-style stock ones. The old Neoprene wire is/was much stiffer.  Newer 7mm
wire can be slightly softer, depending on the inner shielding material  and the
center core. Most of the ones I have seen are still pretty stiff - and  get
stiffer with age. - Seth Emerson, Silicone Wire  Systems