<VV> Registering an old car from New York in California

Gregory Klingsporn Gregory Klingsporn <greg.klingsporn@gmail.com>
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:19:06 -0700

Based on my experience, JR has a good idea. I did the same transfer
back in 1999 from NY to CA. I had bought my Vair from a man in CT. I
brought the following to the DMV office in San Francisco (this is from
memory so could be fuzzy)

-- NY registration ("title")
-- bill of sale from seller to me
-- a highlighted copy of the NY State Motor Vehicle Code section which
provides that cars older than (year) are not issued titles but rather
are issued transferrable registrations.
-- a copy of the CT title that had been signed over to me

...with this, I had a "chain of title" that was enough to satisfy the
DMV clerk, after she had (1) checked with her boss; (2) went to a book
on various states' motor vehicle laws and looked up NY, I guess to
check my work (this was a book on the shelf behind her counter at the
DMV); (3) made a copy of the relevant page in her book; (4) stapled
all the documents I brought, plus the copy she made, plus a
handwritten explanation that she wrote; and (5) took my money.

Again, this was in 1999, so may not be applicable now.

My other advice is to go to the DMV first thing in the morning (line
up outside the locked doors if you have to) so you get the clerks
before they've dealt with the public all day, and be super-polite and
nice the whole time, so that they want to help you out, not get rid of
you. I was fortunate enough to have a clerk who looked upon my problem
as a challenge to her skills.

Hope that helps!

/Greg

--