<VV> Registering an old car from New York in California

pkw@peachgrove.com pkw@peachgrove.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:38:51 -0700 (PDT)

> At 11:45 PM 9/7/04 -0400, AeroNed@aol.com wrote:
>>In a message dated 9/7/2004 4:29:31 PM Central Standard Time,
>>pkw@peachgrove.com writes:
>>
>>Phil: Why does  this have to be so difficult?
>>
>>AeroNed: Because CA is the illogical bureaucratic capital of the world...
>>
> Ken: Perhaps you're placing the blame in the wrong direction.  Because it
> is so  easy to "re-title" cars in some states - Alabama comes to mind -
> there are  services that do this as their main source of income.
> That's a situation  that opens many possibilities of fraud, etc.
>
> California is being very careful about legitimatizing titles on cars
> that  could possibly be stolen, chopped, or re-built from salvaged
> "totals".  There may be better, or more efficient, ways to accomplish
> this  - but one theory is that a few hurdles may discourage the
> unethical.
>
> Just another pov.
>
> Ken

Well said, Ken.  As an honest person making an honest purchase, this is a
pain in the butt to deal with, but my insurance agent has described to me
some of the amazing car fraud that goes on, and I can see why it is
required.  I agree it seems it could be better handled, but them I'm not a
bureaucrat. So thanks to all you carjackers, carhackers, carwhackers,
whoever, for making it tough for the rest of us.  Get a job!

Here's the latest news - I just spoke to my insurance agent and she finally
spoke to someone at the main office who actually knows about these surety
bonds.  The bond will cost me $10 per thousand value of the car, or $130.
That is a per-year cost and will last three years, so the total expense I
incur as a CA resident bringing in a non-titled car will be $390.  Oh
well.  The car is a dream come true, and as a guy who has neither the time
nor skill to restore one myself, it is still a good buy.

Phil
http://www.66Corvair.com