<VV> Exhaust Temps

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:26:54 -0400

Did your tune-up include balancing the carburetors? Not at idle, at 1200rpm,
per the Shop Manual. If not, then do that.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Brown, Douglas T CIV
NAVAIR DEPT
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 9:07 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Exhaust Temps

I just did a tune up on my 140 and noticed the sound of the left exhaust was
not as pronounced as the right.  I can only describe it as wispy or
feathery, as if there were a slight leak, but there isn't.  So I put my hand
behind the pipe to feel the output.  The left one was not as hot as the
right.  The pulse is even, but the temperature is considerably lower.
When I did my valve adjustment after a recent rebuild, I did them cold, and
only turned the nuts 1/4 turn past contact.  Could I have valves on that
side that aren't opening all the way (or not closing)?  Has anyone
experienced a similar difference in exhaust tone and temp?  Power seems
normal, although my last 140 drive was years ago, so I'm guessing.

Toby Brown
San Diego CC