<VV> Advice on possible rebuild

Lauren C Mizel slmizel@juno.com
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:16:24 -0500

I have the power train out on my Vair for a clutch job...just got the
parts in today to finish it up...but another oportunity popped up and I
need advice as to whether or not to consider it.  I am nervous because I
have heard so many stories of rebuilds being done by non-Corvair
mechanics being second rate (BAD).  Here's the deal:  I have a friend who
works for Federal Mogul.  He heard I had the engine out of the Vair for
the clutch and is offering to do a rebuild to it.  I am not an
experienced mechanic and cannot evaluate their methods or process...the
engine seemed to run fine when I took it out...no noticeable oil
consumption...occasional backfires, but I think it was more carb and
timing related than anything.  Anyway, he is offering to take it to the
tech departmeent over there and have the engine completely torn down,
evaluated, and rebuilt.  They would then power wash it, beed blast it (I
think that is what he said) and repaint it so it would look like new.  He
said the pushrod tubes tended to leak and should be replaced (I have read
enough to know that I would want to order the Viton seals...right?)...
The labor would all be free as would all the machine work and they could
get these parts for these prices:

 Description Part no.          price
Cam gear    221-2518    30.29
Lifters           HT-817            17.48 for 12
Push rod    RP-3077     16.46 for 12
Pivot ball  MR-1783     2.86 for 12
Nut         MR-1751     4.54 for 12
Valve spring      VS-521            19.07 for 12
Pistons           L-2206F           254.02 for 6
Rings       E-227K            79.20 for the set (standard size available
only)
Sleeve            SL-14M            170.81 for 6
Main bearings     4063M       76.36 for the set
Rod bearings      6-2385CP    83.76 for the set

They would only replace what was needed.  Sooooo, do I fix what isn't
broken?  Is this a great deal that I shouldn't pass up?  Am I asking for
trouble?  What does the wisdom of VV have to say?  I do not know what
work the PO did to the engine..it was clearly out of the car before (and
put back in with a broken snout and wrong pressure plate)...

Steve Mizel, St. Louis
CORSA
Show-Me Corvair
65 Corsa Vert 140/4