<VV> Advice on possible rebuild

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:44:37 -0700

Hi Steve,

<snip>I am nervous because I
have heard so many stories of rebuilds being done by non-Corvair
mechanics being second rate (BAD)<snip>

I would avoid getting the rebuild done by a non-corvair shop or mechanic.
Even a shop that does other air cooled motors will probably miss some
things.  I once watched an "experienced" professional mechanic install
neoprene o-rings in a corvair which he coated first in type 2 Permatex!!  I
saw him doing it and tried to warn him but he paid no attention, said he did
the last one like that and no one ever complained about leaks!

If you want the best job, find a corvair shop with a history of satisfied
customers or do a lot of research like reading the Corvair Tech Guide, read
the GM shop manual, ask questions here and try your hand at it.  Some things
you may still need to farm out like the head, but again, I would suggest an
experienced shop for this.

My opinion,

Dan Kling

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw(made it fit), awaiting engine