<VV> general fuel/carb woes

Eric Marschner Eric Marschner <emarschn@gmail.com>
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:50:09 -0600

I smell fuel when I drive my 67 Monza, and it is especially strong
when I park it after driving.  This is a '65 140 engine with stock 4
carbs.

Finding no leaks at the many fuel line joints and connections in the
engine compartment, I discovered that all the carbs seem to be seeping
fuel from their top gaskets.  If I look at the carbs after I drive,
the gaskets appear to be wet. I have checked and rechecked the top
screws, and all are nice and tight.

These carbs are rebuilts from Grant, and I haven't put but maybe 500
miles on this car in the two years since I installed the carbs.

Could this be a fuel pump issue, i.e. too much pressure?  It doesn't
make sense to me that fuel makes it all the way up inside the
carburator (somehow filling up the entire carb?) to sneak out at the
gaskets, but I must not have a clear picture of how these carburators
work.

Eric