<VV> Thanks to all who replied

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:45:01 EDT

Bob,
       Attach the positive lead of a voltmeter (or DMM) to the big terminal
of the starter and the negative lead to the negative battery post of a charged
battery.  You should read at least 10 volts when you try to energize the
starter by turning the key.  If you don't, then the battery, the connections or the
cables are faulty.  If you do get at least 10 volts, then something is wrong
inside the starter.
       The dimming of the lights when you turn the key is usually an
indication that you are drawing lots of amps, so the problem is most likely inside the
starter.  However, the above voltage test is a good way to eliminate the
possibility of any problems upstream of the starter which generally are quicker
and easier to solve.
       Good luck and let us know what you find.
       Frank "eliminate the easy stuff first" Burkhard